23 May 2009

Where's Kansas again?

I received in my e-mail inbox yesterday a message from the orientation team of my program in Italy. Attached was a list of all the tutors who will be orientating (yep, it's entirely possible that I just made that word up) with the week of June 8th. Their names, e-mails, and hometowns were included. Through this I discovered that a) there will be more American tutors than I'd expected, and b) I'm the only one from the Midwest. Unless Illinois or Texas count as the Midwest- which I firmly believe they do not. Illinois is Great Lakes region or something, and Texas is, well, Texas. Practically its own country.
The Italian kids are going to have no idea where Kansas is. Most of the American kids are probably going to be clueless as to its location as well. I'm thinking about playing it up with red sparkly heels and some blue gingham a la Dorothy Gale, or maybe just a cowboy hat. Either way, I'm betting that I get tagged as 'the girl from Kansas' or perhaps simply 'Kansas.' I'm cool with that. I mean, I'm listening to country at this very moment. I'm not sure what happened to me, but country music, and all the things that go along with it, are suddenly okay with me. (Except for chew. That's just gross, and bad for you.)
I joined the program's group on facebook, and looked through some of the pictures from summers past. Doing so made it clear that I'm going to need to pack carefully and be prepared for a lot of different settings/situations. Consider that past tutors have been housed with nuns! I don't know about you, but if there's a chance I'm going to be living with nuns, even if it's just for a week or two, I'm going to reevaluate my wardrobe selections.
So I went shopping this week (on multiple occasions). I'm feeling more prepared, but somewhat poorer. Totally worth it though.

No comments: