18 September 2010

another update, and this one's big. . .

"Oh, she takes care of herself, she can wait if she wants, she's ahead of her time
Oh, and she never gives out, and she never gives in, she just changes her mind. . ."
-Billy Joel, 'She's Always a Woman to Me'

All right. I know where I'm going to be tonight, and tomorrow, and for the foreseeable future. Tonight: on a train, headed to Rome. Tomorrow: Madrid. End of the week: Buenos Aires.

That's right, I said Buenos Aires. I know it seems spur-of-the-moment, but I've been looking at it for a while, because it's so much cheaper than Madrid would be, and apparently there's a growing arts community, and lots of openings for English teachers. Anyway, you can't talk me out of it now; the tickets are bought and there's no going back. I'd planned on waiting a bit to go, but it was looking so expensive to even stay in Madrid with friends for a few weeks, and the flights I had been looking at increased in price to the point that it would have cost me nearly a thousand dollars to fly on any day until November. The cheapest flight I could find was this week, so I jumped on it.

So tonight, I have to find this hostel manager and tell him that even though I checked in this morning, I'll be leaving tonight on the last train to Rome. I meant to sleep all afternoon but I've just been so busy and now my adrenaline's pumping over this whole Buenos Aires thing. . . so I'm charging my mp3 player, filling you in, and trying to find something to eat. Kebabs anyone???

No comments: