08 September 2008

El Parque del Buen Retiro

I haven't had a chance to really exercise since I got here, but I'm still so exhausted all the time! Yesterday, Sunday, we slept in til 12:30 or 13:00. Then we just sat around the apartemento all day until we had to leave for a paseo por el Parque del Buen Retiro.
We took the Metro, and all I'm going to say is that maybe I spoke prematurely when I said that I was an expert on taking the subway. That's all I'm going to say, though.
So we were late. The groups had already left when we arrived, so we entered the park on our own to look around. We walked past some guys from the band we'd seen playing in the Plaza Mayor the night before (I guess Madrid isn't that big after all), and found our way to the big, man-made lake in the center of the park. We met up with one of the groups as we passed fortune-tellers, flamenco dancers, comedians, jugglers, and a dancing man in drag and clown makeup.
Apparently en Parque is the place to be on a Sunday afternoon. It's huge! I would compare it to Central Park, but I doubt it's that big. There were so many bikers and rollerbladers, and even a few joggers. We saw a lot of young people partaking of the favorite pasttime of botellon, where they just sit and drink in a public place (apparently it's illegal now, but you could have fooled me).
After an hour and a half, Laura and I were about sick of the Parque, so we lost our group and headed for the exit and got back on the Metro. Once again, I proved what a non-expert I am at taking the subway (but that's all I will say).
Today was our first day at the Colegio Mayor. We signed up for excursions (I did not get the one I wanted, and I am not happy about that) and got our computers configured to work at the IES Center (I don't plan on carrying mine through the Metro ever again so that was pointless). Then we were divided up based on how we had scored on the multiple choice test for a class. These classes are just for the week and are designed to help us settle in. I think my class has the best teacher.
Right now I am scheduled to take Translation Strategies, a ceramics class, Theatre and Performance Workshop, an obligatory Spanish class, and art class in the Prado. The Translation Strategies class is supposed to be pretty tough (it's listed as 484), so I might switch to Contemporary Spanish Theatre, which is at the same time. I've decided not to take actual university classes because I've heard the schedule isn't really compatible with the IES schedule. All these classes start next Monday. This week is just orientation.
We get tomorrow off, though. I think it's a feast day or something. Tonight some of us might go out to the Chueca district, or I might just stay in. I'm still exhausted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I envy you taking a class in El Prado. I finally managed to spend a day there a few years ago on my way to a conference in Leon. Got into the Madrid airport ~7 AM, then dropped stuff off at the hotel and picked up another Normanite who had arrived the day before and took him down to El Prado where we walked until I didn't think I could move anymore. Still had to get back to the hotel at Chamartin. I've had a thing about Goya since high school Spanish and El Prado was magnificent.

Did you get any hail yesterday?