17 November 2010

the great blackout of twenty-ten

"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
It's not warm when she's away
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And she's always gone too long any time she goes away."
-'Ain't No Sunshine,' Bill Withers

I posted those lyrics because that had better be how you all are feeling with me having been away something like six months.

Anyway, I left out one very important detail when I gave you the rundown of my activities from the past week. That detail would be the BLOCK-WIDE BLACKOUT which occurred on Sunday afternoon.

Because it happened while I was taking a mid-afternoon nap, I have no idea when it began, but I know that Dave came in to tell me that Johnny Drama told him and that was that. Basically, no power, so no charged laptops, and no wi-fi. LAME. And then, as it got darker, we couldn't turn on the lights, so that sucked too.

We searched the house for a breaker box, to no avail. Then we looked outside and saw that power was out down the whole block, and decided we were going to have to make the trek down to the supermarket before it got much darker, because we didn't fancy having to navigate the dog poop-covered sidewalks amongst garbage-rustlers in the pitch black.

And of course, by the time we got back from the supermarket with candles, the lights were back on.

The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you are prepared now for the next blackout! Dog poop covered sidewalks???? You left that interesting little tidbit out too! That would definitely make me frown on wearing flip flops! What are you doing for Thanksgiving?