22 January 2011

bartender

She made us drinks to drink, we drunk 'em, got drunk
And now I think she thinks I'm cool
She gave me a wink, I winked back
And now I think that we hit it off something proper like
-T-Pain, 'Bartender'

So. My first two nights of working in the pit are in the books. There have been ups and downs, but for the most part, it's been a lot of fun.

I've definitely made some rookie mistakes, though. I've blanked on drink recipes, and forgotten to open bottles for customers, and just done lots of silly things like that. I guess there was a French woman complaining about my slow service the first night, but another French speaker at the bar told her I was new, and to cut me some slack.

I was ridiculously nervous my first night, but that was probably mostly because we weren't very busy and had a little bit of time on our hands. Night two was so busy that I had no time to be nervous. There have been quite a few people teasing me about being new, and one guy came up to me and said, "Hey! You are the girl who won the contest the other night! You are very elastic!" in a heavy accent.

Last night was karaoke night, and I was told that I'd be forced to sing something as some sort of nightmarish bar staff initiation ritual. I decided on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song because it's not actually singing, and so many people know the words. In the end, though, we were busy enough that having even one less person behind the bar might have been detrimental, lucky for me.

I was in my new bed in the staff dorm by two am. Someone had left a couple of backpacks up there, even though my stuff was already there (there are no spare lockers) and the bed was reserved, and it looked like someone had napped in there. I flipped the pillow, put the bags on the ground, and slept until four in the afternoon.

No comments: