09 June 2010

[from paris]

Okay, when did I update you last? Boston? Wow, you're waaaay behind. Let me get you caught up.

So Boston was lovely, lots of strange people (screaming children on leashes, one chick from Brooklyn who seemed to follow me around, the usual) but good food. I was once again one of the last people on the plane to Iceland, which was considerably larger than that first plane I'd taken.

I was in straight-up zombie mode on the plane to Iceland, probably slumped over my seatback tray table, breathing through my mouth or something. Reeeeeally attractive. By this point, I'd little by little cried away all my makeup at varying points throughout the day so I'm guessing that just added to the general sexiness that was me on Flight 540 to Keflavik Airport in Reykjavik.

But as I've been told, the world does not revolve around me, and somehow the plane made it to Iceland despite my ghastly appearance. We got to see the most stunning sunset over the tops of the clouds as we were descending, and it was still pretty bright even when we were on the ground, at midnight Iceland time. I've never been that far north in the summertime, and it was pretty amazing. Maybe civil twilight, if that gives you an idea of the amount of light.

Thankfully, stores were still open in the airport, at least until one. Definitely kept myself amused with Icelandic souvenirs- we're talking Viking hats, little dwarfy things, and lots of wool. I was so entertained that I didn't make it back to my gate until 12:50am, 15 minutes before my flight was due to take off. I might have been the last person to board the plane yet again. . .

As we were flying out, we got to see the incredible sight that was Mount Eyjafjallojokull. I'm sure everyone on that plane had been crossing their fingers that it wouldn't give us any trouble as far as delaying flights and stranding us abroad, but seeing smoke trail out of it over the clouds was pretty amazing. I wasn't able to get a pic because it was on the other side of the plane, but I definitely got a good look.

Now I'm in Paris, waiting for my final flight to Nice. It's 2:23 am at home, which means I've been travelling for almost an entire day, if you count the time I spent at the airport before my first flight. I think my hour of internet is probably going to run out soon, so that's it for now- more tonight, when I get in to Nice!

2 comments:

Becky Lundgren said...

>>> I was so entertained that I didn't make it back to my gate until 12:50am, 15 minutes before my flight was due to take off. I might have been the last person to board the plane yet again. <<<
As your mother said ...
DON'T MISS THE PLANE BECAUSE YOU'RE BUYING SOUVENIRS. ;-)

Anonymous said...

YEA...............the blog is back!!! I'm so happy! Glad you made it in one piece and got to enjoy the beach. Have a great summer! Nita